How to live as if we only had One Planet
How to sustain a good quality of life for all humanity within what planet Earth can provide, while respecting all life on Earth, is the key question facing the world. Right now we are definitely not doing this and heading for disaster.
- Communities – towns and cities – can choose to transition to becoming genuinely sustainable within this definition, by reducing their ecological footprint, including in their supply chains, and by embracing ‘closed loop’ production and consumption systems and renewable energy. Simultaneously they work to increase the amount and variety of nature around them.
- Individuals and families can do the same at a small scale.
Our work builds on two manuals, published by Taylor & Francis, and written by David Thorpe, for living within the planet’s means:
- The One Planet Life – a manual for low impact living by individuals, families and communities.
- One Planet Cities – a compendium of solutions for towns and cities, and a suggested roadmap for transitioning to ‘one planet’ status.
The One Planet Living Foundation
The One Planet Living Foundation consists of practitioners and researchers. We offer consultancy, workshops, training, and evidence / research on all aspects of reducing an ecological footprint:
- sustainable cities;
- ecological footprinting methodology;
- zero or negative carbon buildings and renovation;
- zero carbon travel;
- food production and supply, including urban farming;
- land and soil management;
- renewable energy and energy efficiency;
- water provision and ecological treatment;
- closed loop resource use.
How can we help you? To contact us for more information or with a specific query please fill out the form here.