How to use the One Planet Standard:
- Develop your policy using the Standard’s principles, based on the type of activities and the type of organisation you are.
- Use our library of proven solutions and resources for ideas, and to choose targets, timelines and KPIs that are appropriate for you.
- Target Scope 1 and 2 impacts (your own direct ones) first, then Scope 3 (those in your supply chains and that you can influence in your clients and customers).
- Arrive at policies, strategies, roadmaps and targets using the Five Ways of Working. Seek support from us at the One Planet Centre if required.
- Use your KPIs to conduct a baseline evaluation and a benchmarking survey to discover your current environmental impact (ecological footprint).
- Devise a roadmap to reduce your ecological footprint to ‘one planet’ over your chosen time period.
- Accompany this with strategies for attaining short, medium and long-term milestone targets for different topics such as energy, food, resource management, transport, natural environment and buildings.
- Give each action stream yearly interim targets.
- Assign operational actions to individuals and departments in their job descriptions. Give training where necessary.
- Find and act upon any quick wins.
- Set in place monitoring systems for the KPIs. Make progress publicly available within the organisation.