Workshops and courses in One Planet Development
For all those who dream of low impact living in a zero carbon home, working the land and helping to heal nature.
We offer an online course in One Planet Development, how to produce a management plan for the planning application, and how to look for land.
Unfortunately we are no longer offering real-world workshops.
Our online courses are done in your own time, one module at a time. More details below.
The course is suitable whatever stage you are at in your journey; whether you are just thinking about it, or if you have acquired the land. It teaches you how to make a planning application and write a management plan with confidence. We will also look at your existing management plan draft.
On Zoom, you are talked through a module and given a simple and enjoyable exercise or two to help you visualise and develop your plans.
Once you’ve done the task there is another zoom session. David Thorpe gives feedback to you and answers your questions. Then you get the next module, and so on. There is a final online chat to make sure you are happy.
The topics covered are:
- The context for OPD (environmental, legislative, planning), the main requirements and the planning system
- The requirements and outline of a management plan; community integration; minimum needs; ecological footprint form.
- What is your land-based business? Options, examples, business management, marketing: exercise and discussion.
- What is a zero carbon building? presentation & design-a-building exercise
- What are your renewable energy options? presentation & discussion.
- Options regarding waste processing, water supply and closed loop sewage treatment
- Transport options: presentation and discussion
- Choosing & evaluating appropriate land: presentation and land-planning exercise
- Optional extra: Prospects for ‘one planet’ clusters and villages with affordable homes, sustainable employment and training opportunities, guided by a new community land trust we’ve set up.
- Concluding questions about management plans and discussion of your future plans.
The entire course costs £80 for one person, £45 each for a couple. If you can’t afford it, discounts are available. Get in touch for more information.
A key course book is workshop leader David Thorpe’s The One Planet Life: A Blueprint for Low Impact Development.
To sign up, please transfer the appropriate amount by BACS (Bank transfer) to: The One Planet Centre Community Interest Company
Sort code: 089299
Account number: 65893838
Co-operative bank Community Direct Plus account.
In the reference field please put: OPDOC
Then email email@example.com to inform us.
We can also critique your existing management plan draft for £50 per hour.