CALL FOR SUSTAINABILITY CONSULTANTS/ASSOCIATES
Ecological footprinting, Decarbonisation, Natural capital and Life Cycle Assessment
The One Planet Centre Community Interest Company (incorporated in March 2020) is looking to recruit enthusiastic and dedicated sustainability professionals on a contract or freelance basis. This is due to the rapid expansion of the One Planet Centre over the last few months as a result of the launch of the One Planet Standard (www.oneplanetstandard.org) which has attracted considerable attention from significant clients.
Based in Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, the Centre is led by David Thorpe. As author of The One Planet Life – a manual for low impact living by individuals, families and communities; and One Planet Cities – a compendium of solutions for towns and cities and a suggested roadmap for transitioning to ‘one planet’ status, David has now focused his expertise on developing metrics to aid organisations on the journey to ‘One Planet Living’.
Working across multiple carbon footprinting and LCA projects – predominantly of construction products, buildings and infrastructure assets but including, energy, water, waste, food, biodiversity and the use of natural resources, you will have opportunities to work with progressive client in all sectors helping them achieve measurable sustainability benefits.
We are looking for suitably qualified professionals with experience as a consultant and a proven track record of carbon footprinting, embodied carbon assessment and / or full Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). You will enjoy working both independently, under times of minimal supervision, and as part of a small team. Junior roles are also available and training in specific areas can be given.
One Planet Associates would be expected to possess a holistic perspective with a good overview of the fields of rural and urban sustainability, one planet theory and practice, energy management, permaculture principles, circular economy, regenerative agriculture and renewable energy. In addition, it is important that there is a thorough understanding of environmental legislation, ecological footprinting, environmental standards and best practice at all levels, from individuals and organisations to cities and regions, in order to show the multiple benefits that are available from positive change.
Associates can be involved at every level – from inputting into organisations’ strategic development, assisting with the construction of Action Plans – for companies large and small and giving specialist advice on the key areas of ecological foot printing.
Excellent written and communication skills are imperative as well as the ability to interpret complex information in an engaging, straightforward way.
Key focus areas include:
- Embodied ecological impact assessment of materials and products
- Product ecological foot printing
- Organisational ecological foot printing
- Scope 3 assessment
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Net zero carbon buildings and infrastructure, carbon neutrality and climate positive
- Estimations of natural capital value and social capital value
- Ecological impact assessment of supply chains
Ideal Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have experience and skills covering the below, combined with a willingness to learn:
- 2+ years’ experience of consultancy (ideally 5+ years’ Senior Consultant Level)
- 2+ years’ experience of carbon or ecological footprinting, embodied carbon assessment or full LCA
- Writing high quality and concise summary reports, as well as detailed technical reports
- Good initiative, comfortable working under regular periods of minimal supervision
- Project management skills and ability to manage delivery of multiple consultancy projects
- Excellent Excel skills, comfortable creating and maintaining large and complicated Excel models
- Experience assessing embodied carbon and LCA impacts
- A good understanding of product, land or building carbon and ecological footprint standards. Such as EN 15804, EN 15978, PAS 2050, WRI GHG Protocol, ISO 14076, Global footprint network, doughnut economics accounting, planetary boundaries
- Experience with ecoinvent, OpenLCA, SimaPro or GaBi is advantageous
- Data extraction and analysis
- Excellent analytical skills
- Quality Assurance
- Communication skills and the ability to help to effect cultural change
- Welsh speaking desirable but not essential
This role involves:
- Communicating the imperative and solutions of/for Ecological Footprint reduction and its benefits to individuals, organisations, countries and the planet as a whole.
- Understanding and being able to explain the necessity of staying within planetary boundaries, ‘Five ways of working’ and the substance of the Wellbeing of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015
- Delivering carbon footprint, embodied carbon and Life Cycle Assessments
- Delivery across multiple consultancy projects at both strategic and operational levels
- Writing technical summary reports and detailed technical reports and recomendations for action
- Liaison with clients, project partners and key stakeholders
- Analysis of large datasets, condensing into robust and digestible outputs
- Supporting both junior level consultants and senior colleagues
- Internal quality assurance
- Managing delivery of consultancy projects
- Presenting results to clients.
The One Planet Centre is a not for profit, inclusive Community Interest Company.
Each consultancy assignment will be costed in conjunction with the relevant Associate who we would expect to have early and direct contact with the client.
Indicative daily rates are as follows: –
Senior Consultants – £600 per day
Junior Consultants – £300 per day
The One Planet Centre is committed to having a diverse and inclusive community of Associates.
For further information
The One Planet Standard has its official launch at the Good Governance Festival on 28th September. While Associates will be taken on on a rolling basis, as the demand for the services of the One Planet Centre expands, we should like to be able to be able to start presenting our expanded Network at the Launch.
If you are interested in becoming a part of the One Planeteers Network, please, in the first instance contact Virginia Isaac on 07769175995 or email@example.com. Alternatively, please send your CV and an accompanying Letter of Application explaining your interest and your suitability for the consultancy position